Basement excavation is a great way to add more usable space to an existing basement, both horizontally and vertically.
However, before the big dig starts, there are many issues to think about.
- Stairs: Are they wide enough? Will it be easy to get furniture in and out.
- Windows: Egress windows are a necessity for a bedroom
- Ceilings: Ceilings should be high enough to avoid feeling claustrophobic
- Bathrooms: Plumbing and sewer lines will need to be incorporated
- Drainage: Often a separate sump pump with floor drainage system is the best. What is the water level in the area ? Is the soil sloping away fr0m the foundation? Are sprinkler systems pointing away from the home?
- Flooring: What flooring and padding will work best?
- HVAC: There will need to be a system that has enough supplies and returns. Basements are going to be cooler, so ensure they are not taken for granted.
- Utility Rooms: Be sure there is make up air and combustion air. They are going to make noise, so provide a sound barrier near media rooms and bedrooms.
- Lighting: Adequate lighting is a must, to avoid the space feeling closed in.
- Foundations: Are they in good shape? We look for cracking, shifting, signs of water leaking, and crumbling or any other signs of deterioration. These require special considerations for structural integrity.
Alpine Companies has been the pioneers in basement conversions in Colorado for almost 50 years, as well as leaders in the basement excavation service. The reason Alpine Companies services are chosen by most clients is that we have an extensive background in foundation repair here in Denver Colorado. Your home is the biggest investment of your life; trust a company with many years of experience like Alpine Companies to protect your investment.