Now is the perfect time to begin a landscaping planting project that will transform your backyard landscaping into an oasis that you and your family will enjoy for years. There are many different landscaping options available for your backyard, from water features to outdoor kitchens. However, the common denominator in every landscaping project is the flowers, trees and shrubs you choose to accentuate your backyard landscape design. Below are a few ideas that will help you create beautiful plantings in your backyard landscaping.
- Start with a plan! Even though you may be working on your landscaping in stages, have a comprehensive plan is vital. The plan does not need to be extremely detailed outlining every plant and every stone, but it should indicate where the hardscaping (non-plant elements in your landscaping), plantings, walkways and other areas are going to be.
- Manage your growth! Reduce the time you spend pruning and trimming by choosing shrubs and trees that will grow to a size that fits your space. When planning your landscape, make sure to take into consideration the size your plantings will be at maturity. They many look fantastic now when they are small, but later when your trees and shrubs are full-grown, they may turn your yard into a forest and overwhelm both your yard and your house.
- Cut back on sod. A nice green lawn is beautiful and your kids will love it but sod is also consumes a considerable amount of time, water and nutrients. Keep you grass area small and fill in the areas with planting beds of low-maintenance perennials, trees and shrubs.
- Variety is the spice of life, and your yard! Even though you may love a certain flower or shrub, planting too much of the same thing can make your yard boring throughout different parts of the seasons. Once the buds drop (all over the yard) what will you have to look at? Mix it up!
- Show some depth. One-dimensional planting (planting the same size plants throughout the bed) lacks visual interest and depth. Instead, plant smaller plants in the front and put progressively large plants behind them. In doing the multi-dimensional planting, be sure to mix up the varities taking into consideration the colors and textures of each plant.
If you need help design, planting and maintaining your Denver backyard landscaping, give Alpine Companies a call today at 303-797-8908.